Hit by a Pitch

Um, welcome, Deadspin commenters.

without comments

Hi.

I had no idea my “Asshole’s Guide to Insulting Women” post would get so much attention and so many comments. Hell, I thought that, like most of my posts, five people would read it and life would go on as usual.

I welcome you all to my little site. I approved every comment posted before I turned off first-time comment moderation, and I won’t delete any comments posted since I turned it off a few minutes ago. I’m happy to read everything you all have to say about what I posted. I’ll try to respond to everyone as soon as possible, which might not be until the weekend, what with the actual work I have to do today and shit.

I stand behind everything I wrote in that post, and also am willing to admit that by making fun of Deadspin commenters, I’m really no better than they are and might be kind of an asshole myself. I’m cool with that, and kind of suspected it all along. Who but an asshole loves Jose Mesa?

Written by Tracy

August 1st, 2008 at 12:52 pm

Posted in Hit by a Pitch

Tagged with , ,

No Responses to 'Um, welcome, Deadspin commenters.'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Um, welcome, Deadspin commenters.'.

1. Even Jose Mesa doesn’t love Jose Mesa.

Good column by the way. I still think you miss the point on the intention of (for the most part) the Deadspin commentariat, but that doesn’t make you any less wrong. Still, feel free to browse the drivel spouting from the clowns commenting over at ESPN and those other mainstream sites if you’d like to get an idea of how true mouth breathers comment.

the earl of weaver

1 Aug 08 at 1:26 pm

2. Tracy, it’s good of you to show you can take it as well as dish it out. I think you helped make Deadspin a better place by bringing this to everyone’s attention.

mcbias

1 Aug 08 at 1:27 pm

3. We’ve all got a little asshole and/or bitch in us, and there’s no better place to let it loose than Deadspin.

before I read the MVB index: maybe

after I read the MVB index: definite yes

the last unitard

1 Aug 08 at 1:34 pm

4. This would be the wrong place to make a comment about Jose Mesa’s wife, correct?

NBP

1 Aug 08 at 1:43 pm

5. Bravo Tracy. I still think you’re wrong and yes, maybe, slightly assholish (broad brushes and I have never gotten along), but I commend you on allowing me to say so.

If nothing else, you’ve sparked quite the debate amongst we lowly DS commenters about what we are, and more importantly, who we should be, which can only be a good thing.

That said, you will take my dick joke when you pry it from my cold, dead hand.

6. Let he who is without assholish tendencies throw out the first pitch… oh wait…

You know I love ya you crazy harpy bitch! HEE HEE HEE

7. Having read this and the other post and as a Deadspin commenter and blogger who tries to eschew the misogyny even online:

Good for you for noting/writing this; it sparked discussion.

Bad for you that in choosing to make fun of comments, you essentially perpetuated the degenerative cycle of derivative humor that fuels a good bit of the ‘Spin below the post.

And, please, WordPress user, learn to love the “more” tag. It’s your friend, even for manifestos like your earlier post.

Rockabye

2 Aug 08 at 12:11 am

8. “Be funny and do not not be funny”.

That is the premise behind most of the comments you see over at Deadspin. While this rule is often broken by commenters who feel the need to share their sexual preferences with the rest of us (yes/no) or who want to belittle female athletics in general (WNBA?), most of us are simply trying to get a chuckle out of another soul via the interwebs. Do not take us seriously and also realize that, while there is a little bit of douchebaggery over at Deadspin, it pales in comparison to other sites.

Props for the sheer amount of NBA posts on this site. It looks like us basketball fanatics aren’t a dying breed after all.

Brazil Thrill

2 Aug 08 at 1:53 am

9. Bravo on taking the high road with this post and kudos for sticking to your guns when you know you’re right.

MP

2 Aug 08 at 8:30 am

10. Tracy,
    I just got to read your post from yesterday as well as all the comments here and on Deadspin. You singled out a few of my comments. More than anything, I want women to want more, to want to be respected for their brains, to compete with men in the workplace (whether it is an office or the braodcast booth) on an even playing field. I don’t think dressing the way Erin did helped that cause. She shouldn’t have to sex it up to get the job. You may disagree with me and I am comfortable with that. Many times when things go too far on Deadspin, I call it out. If I disagree with something or think it goes to far, I say it. I can not help myself.

Now let’s talk about what is really important, you’re a white sox fan? Now that is unforgivable. I am, of course, joking about that.

Respectfully yours,
    J-No

J-No

2 Aug 08 at 11:44 am

11. Tracy, excellent critique of the Deadspin commenting ethos. Brava.

I’d only suggest that by saying that in “making fun of Deadspin commenters, I’m really no better than they are and might be kind of an asshole myself,” you kind of undo some of the force of the original argument. For one thing, making fun of something doesn’t make someone an asshole necessarily. For another, you weren’t making fun; you were exposing a misogynist mode of representing women on the web. That’s good, serious shit–a critique–and you can make fun of Deadspin commenters *on top of that* by saying they’ve probably never had sex with a woman, etc.

Tony

2 Aug 08 at 3:08 pm

12. The key to surviving asshole commentors is to operate a blog that few people peruse. That way, you can deliver a contrary opinion on the whole Erin Andrews mess, and no one will say a thing.

/shameless plug

RiSK

4 Aug 08 at 7:21 pm

13. Hahahahaha listen to these self-important Deadspin douches:

1. “I still think you miss the point on the intention of (for the most part) the Deadspin commentariat, but that doesn’t make you any less wrong. Still, feel free to browse the drivel spouting from the clowns commenting over at ESPN and those other mainstream sites if you’d like to get an idea of how true mouth breathers comment.”

Yeah, because nobody who comments at ESPN is funny or smart like us

2. “most of us are simply trying to get a chuckle out of another soul via the interwebs. Do not take us seriously and also realize that, while there is a little bit of douchebaggery over at Deadspin, it pales in comparison to other sites.”

See the amazing hypocrisy here? Who says interwebs? Douchebags, that’s who. Oh but wait- those only reside on other sites.

3. “I don’t think dressing the way Erin did helped that cause. She shouldn’t have to sex it up to get the job.”

The default falling back point of all the Deadspin douches. Yeah, cuz guys know a ton about women’s clothes. It was a SUMMER DRESS! It was not a bikini or lingerie, her nipples weren’t falling out of the top, etc. As a guy, if it’s fuckin hot outside and I can get away with wearing shorts and a t-shirt for a job instead of a suit and tie….. ah forget it the douches will never understand.

Matt