The Winter X Games are this Thursday through Sunday and, now that the Super Bowl is dead to me, I’m super excited about it. I love the Winter X Games (and one of these years, I’m going to Aspen to watch this shit in person).
A full schedule of events is available here. If you’re not ambitious/interested enough to watch everything, here are my recommendations (all times MST, because that’s how we roll here in Colorado).
- Thursday, 9 p.m.: skiing superpipe women’s final
- Friday, 4:45 p.m.: skiing superpipe men’s final
- Friday, 5:15 p.m.: snowboard best method (I’m recommending this only because it’s a new event this year and might be interesting; the winner will be selected by text message voting, which I think is lame.)
- Friday, 8 p.m.: snowboard big air final
- Saturday, 9:30 a.m.: mono skier X qualifying (Mono skier X is bad ass, so I recommend watching it every chance you get.)
- Saturday, noon: snowboarder X men’s final
- Saturday, 2 p.m.: snowboarder X women’s final
- Saturday, 2:30 p.m.: skiing slopestyle men’s final
- Saturday, 7:45 p.m.: snowboard superpipe women’s final
- Saturday, 8:30 p.m.: skiing big air final
- Sunday, 11:15 a.m.: skier X men’s and women’s final
- Sunday, 11:30 a.m.: snowcross round one (I don’t like the snowmobile “style” stuff but I love the race.)
- Sunday, 12:15 p.m.: snowcross last-chance qualifier
- Sunday, 1:15 p.m.: snowcross final
- Sunday, 1:45 p.m.: snowboard slopestyle men’s final
- Sunday, 3: p.m.: mono skier X semifinal
- Sunday, 3:45 p.m.: mono skier X final
- Sunday, 6:30 p.m.: snowboard superpipe men’s final
A list of confirmed athletes is available here. You’ll notice snowmobile superstar Levi LaVallee isn’t there. That’s because he was injured while performing a new stunt in December. Fortunately, my pal with the best name in the world, Torstein Horgmo, will be there. (If you don’t know who to cheer for, I recommend my people, which in this case is the Norwegians, including the delightful Andreas Håtveit.)
I’m looking forward to seeing host/play-by-play guru Sal Masekela again. Tell me it wouldn’t be awesome to smoke a big fatty with him and then get strawberry crepes at Poppycocks (awesome breakfast food). (You can find out more about the broadcast team here.)
If you’re lucky enough to be in Aspen this weekend and want to get a drink, I recommend 39 Degrees at the Sky Hotel (awesome hot tub) and J-Bar at Hotel Jerome. If you’re looking for music, they have awesome shit at Belly Up (GZA is there on Wednesday), although watch out for bitch-ass hos who put their cigarettes, which they’re not even supposed to be smoking, in your beer while you’re sitting there minding your own business at the Girl Talk show and you almost have to be dragged away before getting into a physical altercation because that’s just rude.
Have fun being stoked, kids!
Note: I don’t get paid by anyone for anything I do on the internet. All recommendations and opinions are unbiased and legit.