You probably already know this, but salsa is super easy to make. Also, homemade salsa is awesome (especially for me, because I hate the tomato chunks that usually come in store-bought salsa). Here’s how Ben does it.
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained and squished (By “squished” I mean squish the lid into the can to squeeze out as much of the liquid as possible without going nuts about it.)
- a handful of fresh cilantro, stems removed
- approximately 1/4 of a medium onion (approximately 1/4 cup), coarsely chopped (Ben says he uses the ugly ends of an onion for this because it’s a good way to get rid of them.)
- 2 fresh jalapenos or 1 fresh Serrano (coarsely chopped; Ben leaves seeds in) (This usually results in pretty spicy salsa; feel free to adjust to your liking.)
- 4 sprinkles of garlic powder
- black pepper to taste (ok or good to go heavy on this)
- salt to taste
- juice from one lime or lemon
Throw all ingredients into food processor. Process until reasonably smooth. That’s it! Enjoy!
See also Awesome Homemade Nachos.